REBT Training Courses
The Association for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy recognises and approves a number of UK and overseas REBT Training courses.
Normally, the Course Director will be an AREBT Accredited Supervisor and/or AREBT Accredited Trainer or a qualified Supervisor of Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy having satisfied the requirements of the Albert Ellis Institute, New York, International Training Standards and Policy Review Committee.
AREBT Recognised Courses
The only training course that leads to dual accreditation with both the AREBT and BABCP and listing on the CBT Register is the MSC in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy. This course no longer runs, but those who have this qualification can still apply for dual accreditation.
If you do not have this course and are interested in achieving accreditation then you will need to apply via the BABCP: BABCP’s accreditation pages
REBT Training for Counsellors/Psychologists
The Association recognises the introductory, foundation and advanced courses in the list below as providing training for those working towards listing as a AREBT Counsellor. An applicant would need to have core training as a counsellor/psychologist together with an advanced course in REBT to become a listed counsellor.
BABCP accredited therapists who study these courses can also achieve dual accreditation as a Rational Emotive Behaviour therapist.
The MSc in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy from Goldsmiths College, University of London, also qualifies therapists for dual accreditation with the BABCP and AREBT. (Please note that this course is no longer running).
Albert Ellis Institute for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy, New York, USA
REBT Supervisors training programme: Supervisory Certificate Practicum in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy.
Practitioners’ training programmes:
- 3-Day Primary Certificate Practicum in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Advanced Certificate Practicum in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Associate Fellowship Practicum in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
The Centre for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy: University of Birmingham https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/psychology/centres/rebt/courses/index.aspx
The Centre for REBT provides training in exactly the same format as that provided by the Albert Ellis Institute in New York.
They currently provide 3 training courses:
- Primary/Paraprofessional Certificate in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Advanced Practicum in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Associate Fellowship Certificate
UK Centre for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy in association with the Centre for Stress Management, IAFPD https://www.managingstress.com/course-dates-and-fees
The Centre run a number of REBT & CBT based courses. In addition, they offer a range of cognitive-behavioural and rational emotive coaching programmes. The therapy based modular courses are:
- Primary Certificate in Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy & Counselling
- Primary Certificate in Advanced Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy Skills
- Primary Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Training
- Primary Certificate in Advanced Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Skills
- Certificate in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Foundation Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural & Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Advanced Certificate in Rational Emotive & Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Foundation Diploma in Rational Emotive & Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Directors of REBT Training: Professor Stephen Palmer PhD (AREBT Accredited Supervisor/ Trainer, and AEI Certified REBT Supervisor). Other trainers involved in the extended programmes include Nick Edgerton MAREBT Accred and Dr Siobhain O’Riordan PhD MAREBT (Academic).
New Zealand Centre for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy https://rational.org.nz/rebt.htm
Primary Certificate in REBT run in New Zealand in association with the UK Centre for REBT, London, UK. This course is recognised as a primary certificate course by the Association for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy and may form part of an approved programme working towards accreditation as a Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapist.
Director: Professor Stephen Palmer FAREBT.
College of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies https://www.cbttherapies.org.uk/
The College of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies run a number of training courses in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT/REBT) and Integrative CBT/REBT:
- Diploma in CBT/REBT (6 training weekends)
- Advanced Diploma in CBT/REBT (7 training weekends)
- Advanced Diploma in integrative CBT/REBT I (7 training weekends)
- Advanced Diploma in integrative CBT/REBT II (7 training weekends)
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The training centres listed above may also run short courses and workshops that are suitable for purposes of CPD for AREBT members.
PATHWAY TO BECOMING AN AREBT LISTED COUNSELLOR OR ACHIEVING ACCREDITATION AS A RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPST
The Association has a fully developed and recognised pathway for members to work towards being listed as an AREBT Listed Counsellor or achieving accreditation as a Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapist. If you are interested in becoming a Listed AREBT Counsellor, then please download our Guidelines which provide details on how to complete the relevant Application Forms.
If you would like to know more about becoming an accredited REBT/CBT therapist, then please see the Accreditation section of our site here.
Please note that with regard to accreditation you will need to apply to the BABCP first (unless you have completed the MSc in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy). Please refer to the BABCP’s accreditation pages on their website for further information.