The Association for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (AREBT) is the lead organisation for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy in the UK and Ireland. The organisation was established in 1993 by psychologists, counsellors and psychotherapists who were interested in the establishment of a national association for REBT practitioners.
The Association is committed to promoting the highest standards of REBT practice, supervision and training in its members. In this way we help to protect the public by supporting best practice.
The Association has demonstrated its commitment to the professional development of its members and to the promotion of good practice by developing with the BABCP a joint national register of accredited AREBT and BABCP accredited members: The CBT Register. The AREBT also requires all its members to have training in REBT, as well as a core profession (or equivalent knowledge and skills).
AREBT’s purpose is to:
- Provide information to individuals who have an interest or specialism in REBT.
- Maintain a list of Accredited Rational Emotive Behaviour Practitioners who are then also listed on The CBT Register (link to that register)
- Maintain a list of professionally trained Rational Emotive Behaviour Practitioners
- Inform the public about safe and effective REBT practice, with a published ethical code, so they can make an informed choice with regard to their therapy/therapist
- Provide a complaints process with regard to our full members and their adherence to that ethical code
- Promote and develop the science of Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT).
- Promote the interests of members of the Association in their professional activities.
- Recognise REBT courses at Foundation and Practitioner levels run by Accredited REBT trainers and supervisors (or equivalent).
- Maintain a website, conduct a journal and/or other literature for the purposes of distributing information and advancing the objects of the Association and keeping members, those with an interest in REBT, and members of the public informed on subjects connected with REBT.
- Organise a yearly Annual General Meeting and Annual Conference. With opportunities to discuss the development of AREBT and experience REBT-specific CPD opportunities. Past conferences content is available on the website home page.
Decisions relating to AREBT are made by an Executive Board, each board member and how to contact them can be found on the Contacts page of this website. In addition to the Executive Board REBT has the following non-executive roles:
Albert Ellis (Deceased)
Martin James Turner
Wayne Froggatt (Deceased 2020)