NB: Our Accreditation pages (including forms and guidance) are currently in the process of being updated. If you wish to apply for accreditation in the near future, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
You must submit your First Accreditation Audit Application 12 months from the date of award of Practitioner Accreditation. If you do not apply, or do not meet the annual standards for Practitioner Accreditation, you will no longer be accredited and your details will be removed from the CBT Register UK and Ireland.
Please note that the BABCP manages the accreditation applications and the First Accreditation Audit on behalf of the AREBT for all dual accredited members.
To apply for First Accreditation Audit, you must –
- Hold current Practitioner accreditation.
- Adhere to our Code of Conduct – Association for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy and the BABCP’s Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
- You must be a member of both AREBT and BABCP (dual accredited)
- You must hold Professional Liability insurance
- Be a resident of the UK, its territories or Ireland
- Be accountable for your REBT/CBT clinical practice
- Show 12 months of supervised CBT practice since being awarded practitioner accreditation, as described here: CBT Practice Guidance
- Provide evidence of and Reflective Statements on five pieces of REBT/CBT Continuing Professional Development including at least six hours of CBT skills workshops as described here: CPD Guidance. You can count CPD completed between applying for and receiving your Practitioner Accreditation award. Include a note with the application explaining this.
- Be receiving adequate REBT/CBT supervision, including at least two episodes of live supervision. You can find more details in Supervision Guidance.
- Be supervised by an appropriate supervisor – please see Supervisor’s Credentials
- Provide a Supervisor’s Report from your current supervisor.
- Pay the correct fee within one month of submitting your application.
- Sign all the declarations.
If you take time off or are out of the country in your provisional year, we will extend your First Accreditation Audit due date by up to two years so that you can meet the criteria. You must let us know about this by submitting an extension request form.
Application Form and Guidelines
First Accreditation Audit – Application Form and Guidelines (Word)
This must be completed by your current CBT clinical supervisor. This document should be completed and signed within one month prior to your application submission. If you have been supervised by your current supervisor for less than six months, your previous supervisor should also provide a report.
CPD and Reflective Statements
You are expected to give evidence of five REBT/CBT CPD activities drawn from across the range of learning and development activities. These will have been completed in the 12 months since you were awarded Practitioner Accreditation. One of these may be a non REBT/CBT specific activity provided that you can justify on your Reflective Statement how it is appropriate to your practice.
Within this you are required to include at least six hours of CBT skills workshop(s) per year and complete a Reflective Statement for each of these. This can be one workshop or a number of shorter ones.
Reflective Statements are best completed soon after completing each activity.
Clinical Supervision Log Book
You must provide your log book for the 12 months since you were awarded Practitioner Accreditation.
If you have had a break in practice for more than six weeks during your Practioner Accreditation period, you should submit an extension request form and show the supervised practice either side of your time off.